Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Monitoring My GAME Plan Progress

Making progress with any goal is essential. However, reaching goals take time and dedication. As with other goals I have set for myself in my life, I tend to get impatient and want results right now, but I know that is not possible. That is currently how I am feeing about my GAME plan. Even though I am working towards my goal, I won't be satisfied until I get there. For my first goal, which is to create more effective assessments, I have all of the resources I need and this week's resources provided great information regarding the different types of assessments (Cennamo, Ross, & Ertmer, 2009). However, even though I have all of the resources I need, I think it is still going to take time and practice to be able to create what I consider effective assessments. I am constantly seeking my colleagues advice and input on tests that i have created and I am also signed up for an in service on creating assessments. With the information gained this week about the different types of assessment formats and the discussion posts regarding these formats, I have learned that it is good to have a balance of all four types of assessments in the classroom and some assessments are better than others at certain times and for certain content. Having all four types of assessments in my classroom, I am able to meet the needs of all of my learners and provide the opportunity for every student to be successful.

For my second goal, which is to become a leader of technology in my school, I have taken what I would consider the first step and joined the technology committee. Just a month ago our technology coordinator created the technology committee and asked for any volunteers who wanted to join, and I signed up. Another way I feel that I am working on this goal is by offering my colleagues assistance with incorporating more technology into their classrooms. I even put an email out suggesting some very good educational websites. I am not afraid to take risks using technology within my classroom and am willing to try new things with my students, even when they are new to me too! In fact just last week, as a school, we were doing a compare and contrast activity with the original and new version of the Lorax, for Right to Read week, and I took the students to the tech lab and we created Venn Diagrams together for the first time using Microsoft Word. It went well and the students did great following along with me. We were the only class that used technology to complete this activity. I have made it my mission to try to incorporate some sort of technology into the classroom every day, if possible. I believe with this attitude and dedication, my colleagues will embrace this same attitude and hopefully look up to me as a leader.

Right now, I am happy with the progress I am making , even though I get impatient, and do not feel that any modifications to my action plan are needed. I am excited and dedicated to making my goals a reality and once I feel I have reached my goals, I will develop new ones to strive towards. We as educators should never stop growing professionally and should always be looking for ways to improve!

Cennamo, K., Ross, J., & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology integration for meaningful classroom use. Mason, Ohio: Cengage Learning.

Crystal Moyer

No comments:

Post a Comment